When my husband Richard says “This is on the list,” I know it came out delicious.
I made this dish yesterday morning after thumbing through my “Fix it and Forget It” Cookbook. I really didn’t believe this could be done and the ingredients are rather expensive, but I can tell you it really works. I love crockpot cooking and have made soups, stews, beans, breads in the crockpot that are to die for. One of my absolutely favorite books is “Not Your Mothers Slow Cooker Cookbook” by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann.
I have several slow cookers. My oldest one is a Rival 5 quart. It cooks rather hot but has turned out many delicious meals. I also have a programmable EuroPro 7 quart, which I used for this recipe. I had been having doubts about the EuroPro because seems to only function well when I keep it on high. Last St Patricks Day, the corned beef wasn’t tender after 10 hours of cooking, as a result, I do not recommend this cooker. In “Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook,” it is recommended that you use a proper size cooker for your meal. I also have the Hamilton Beach multi-slow cooker which comes with 3 different size bowls. I’m ashamed to admit, this is still the box, so I can’t really give this a good review. Folks on the Yahoo Group Cooking Appliances seem to love this pot.
1 package lasagna noodles
1 lb of ground beef
1 tbs dehydrated onion
1 tbs dehydrated garlic
1 tsp of italian seasoning
2 cooked sausage sliced
1 quart of spaghetti sauce
8 oz of dry red wine
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 lb of grated mozzarella cheese
2 TBS chopped parsley
1) Mix ground beef with italian seasoning, dehydrated garlic and onion and brown in pan. Drain fat. Add sliced sausage, spaghetti sauce, wine and red pepper. Set aside
2) Mix Mozzarella cheese, ricotta, parsley, and egg in a bowl.
3) Cover the bottom of the crockpot with 1/4 of the sauce. Break the lasagna noodles up to fit a layer of noodles on the bottom of crock.
4) Add a layer of cheese(about 1/3 of it) and top with noodles. Add another 1/4 of sauce; then noodles and then the rest of the cheese.
5) Cover and cook for approx 5-6 hours on low till noodles are tender. Check noodles after 5 hours. If dry, add more liquid, either water or tomato sauce.