Today was the Wharf to Wharf Race in Santa Cruz. This is usually so exciting. There are great bands about every block. Thousands of people running by our house. Chloe is usually so happy and loving to play and entertain while all of this is going on. Today is also my son Bart’s birthday! Happy Birthday to Bart!
It is definitely a Margarita day and the lime juice has been squeezed. A barbecue of sausage and steak is on the agenda. The New York Mets are on and not exactly playing well. We are waiting with dread to see where Carlos Beltran is going to go. I can enumerate on the way the NY Mets broke my heart by trading beloved players. From Tom Seaver, to David Cone it has happened many times. Just heartbreaking.
Here is the recipe for the Wagon Wheel Salad. It is surely a keeper!
Southwest Wagon Wheel Pasta Salad
2 (15 ounce) can black beans
2 (9 ounce) packages frozen corn, thawed
2 cup salsa
4 tomatoes, chopped
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lb cubed pepper jack
4 cups tortilla chips, crushed
2 avocado, peeled, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
6 teaspoons cumin
1teaspoon chili powder
5 large garlic cloves, minced
1. In medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain cooked pasta; rinse with cold water until cool.
3. In large bowl, combine beans, corn, salsa, tomatoes and cilantro. Add cooked pasta and dressing to bean mixture; toss until well coated. Stir in half each of the cheese and tortilla chips.
4. Place salad on large serving platter or in large serving bowl.
5. Top with remaining half of cheese; garnish with remaining chips and avocado.